|West Group, Rochester, NY, 1996 - present
* Managing Editor of several print and online products for human resources-related news & law, including International Human Resource Journal, Termination of Employment manual, Managing A Global Work Force manual and CD-ROM, HR Polices & Practices Update newsletter, and Human Resources Guide manual. Previously coordinated, reorganized, and edited the online newsletter, HRWire.
* Led a taskforce in 2000 to identify and cut composition and editorial costs.
* Participated in numerous taskforces from 1996 to 2002 to train editorial staff, streamline procedures, and determine & communicate best practices between technology, editorial, and composition departments.
* Trained numerous employees from 1996 to present on copyreading, verifying case citations, applying SGML markup, writing & using Visual Basic and Perl macros to automate work, uploading content to online databases, and using various proprietary company applications.
* Wrote documentation for a variety of editorial procedures and products, and for various proprietary company applications. Participated in writing and reviewing system requirements specifications.
* One of three point people in the 2001 transition of products from a company bureau office that was about to close; solely responsible for quickly gathering and learning the editorial procedures for these products and for creating documentation to train others; exercised tact and patience in dealing professionally with employees who were about to be terminated and generally had no documentation for their processes.
* In 2001, edited content and coordinated in-house and freelance writers (and payment requests) for the weekly online HR newsletter, www.hrwire.com at hr-esource.com.
* One of the first non-lawyers in the department to assume contract management responsibilities in 1998.
* Solely responsible for acquiring new freelance attorney writers for and managing editorial production of largest U.S. federal legal encyclopedia (American Jurisprudence) from 1998 to 2000. Actively recruited and helped train new contractors in an effort to increase the product's pool of writers and avoid late shipments. Monitored and administered manuscript's progress and contractor flat fees as a member of a self-empowered team.
* Responsible for negotiating and processing contracts for new freelance authors, for Am Jur from 1998 to 2000, and for Texas Jur in 2001.
* Coordinated workflow of $1.6 million revenue product (Am Jur tax volumes) through departments in Rochester, NYC, and Eagan offices, and acted as liaison between the technology, editorial, and production/manufacturing teams in those departments. My perseverance on this product over four years streamlined the process and helped lowered costs and streamline the workload in the Composition department.
* Participated in special company project to verify statute hyperlinks (over an international database link) so that the entire body of English common law (dating back to the 12th Century) could be loaded online to WestLaw UK.
* Review and edit manuscript for compliance with company markup coding, style, spelling, grammar, etc.
* Verify accuracy of case citations in manuscript; use WestLaw and CD-ROMs for legal research.
Rochesterian Magazine, Rochester, NY, 1994
* Researched, organized, assigned, edited, wrote, and designed a monthly general-news magazine.
* Responsible for editorial budget and for hiring/firing staff and freelancers. Oversaw staff of art directors, ad reps, photographers, and freelancers.
* Initiated new columns and sections. Refocused former business magazine's content on health, the sciences, and education in Monroe County.
The Redding Pilot (newspaper), Redding, CT, 1985-1993
Managing Editor 1990-1993 (reporter 1985-1989)
* Planned, assigned, edited, wrote, designed, and proofed a weekly community newspaper.
* Responsible for maintaining a monthly freelancer budget, and hiring/firing of new freelancers. Oversaw staff of reporters, photographers, and freelancers. Also shot much of newspaper's photography.
* Reorganized publication's schedule and content to make editorial and production departments consistently meet deadlines and to lower production costs.
* Received two general excellence awards from the New England Press Association -- in 1990 for a front-page double-homicide investigation, and in 1993 for editing and design of the newspaper.
Barton Malow Construction, Rochester, NY, 1995-1996
* Organized and monitored the flow of hundreds of engineering and architectural plans for construction of the Ambulatory Care Facility at Strong Memorial Hospital. Edited contract materials for grammar, etc.
* Received two company awards within one year for recognition of exceptional work.
1989 Bachelor of Arts in Communication in Media Arts, cum laude.
(Minors in photography, radio, film, and video)
Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT
1988 Bachelor of Arts in English Writing, cum laude.
(Minors: journalism, history, non-western culture, and astronomy)
Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT
|Resume of Chris Adler-France
Katja at Thescorre dot org
|visitors since January 2001|